Several dogs have died in Ireland after consuming toxic algae.

A national warning has been issued after several dogs have died after consuming algae on Irish lakes.

toxic algae

A national warning has been issued following several dog’s deaths after consuming algae from Irish lakes.

It is advised not to walk your pets anywhere close to lakes or places there may be algae scum. A number of dogs in Ireland have died from the toxic algae. Even a very small exposure, such as a few mouthfuls of algae-contaminated water, could result in fatal poisoning.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have asked people to report any incidents or sightings.

“Reporting of suspected incidents to local authorities and taking photographs to document the problem would be very beneficial, so that warning notices of increased risk can be erected where relevant.”

Precautions you can take

  • Keep your dog on a lead when walking anywhere close to lakes.
  • Don’t let your dog swim in a lake.
  • Give your dog clean water from home before and during your walk.
  • If you think your dog may have been close to a lake or algae, wash them immediately.
  • Bring your dog to the vet immediately if they have any contact with algae or if they are not well following a trip to somewhere with a lake.
  • Take photos of any algae seen and show your vet as well as notifying the EPA.

Click here to LIKE our Facebook page for news, deals and advice!

Facebook Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here